This scenic 107-acre park preserves and interprets the site of a Tlingit Indian fort and the battle fought between the Russians and the Tlingits in 1804. A fine collection of Haida and Tlingit totem poles was moved there from the Louisiana Exposition in St. Louis in 1904, and in April, 1996, a locally carved totem was raised in traditional ceremonial style. The museum contains an exhibit of Tlingit and Russian artifacts. Please visit the park’s auditorium to view the fascinating historical movie depicting Sitka’s colorful and rich past. The main building houses authentic original totems, a fine indoor museum artifact display, and an active Tlingit arts program/studio where the public can watch and talk to local Alaskan Native Indian artists. A free, self-guided oceanside flat walking trail leads past numerous hand carved totems to the site where the Tlingit fort once stood. Popular guided ranger walks on various topics are offered throughout the week in the summer months; please check with the park for weekly schedule. Sitka National Historical Park is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Summer hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm daily. Winter hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday – Saturday; closed Sunday. Trails are open from 7am – 8pm.
Sitka Historical Society and Museum
All elements of Sitka’s history converge in one place: The Sitka Historical Museum. Packed with displays, photographs, and artifacts from Sitka’s Tlingit, Russian, and American history, the museum is a worthwhile first stop! It provides a perspective for almost everything else the traveler will see during his/her stay. A gift shop, which supports the museum, includes many exclusives made only for the museum.
Museum currently under expansion, for further information, contact us by email.
Sheldon Jackson Museum
Sheldon Jackson Museum, founded in 1888, houses an exceptional collection of Alaska Native ethnographic material gathered by Presbyterian missionary and General Agent of Education for Alaska, the Rev. Dr. Sheldon Jackson. Located at 104 College Drive, the museum is just a short walk along Lincoln Street, midway from downtown and Sitka National Historical Park. The octagon structure was the first concrete building in Alaska, and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1972. A gift shop offers handmade Alaska Native art, jewelry, books, and many other treasures! Summer Hours: Open daily, 9am – 5pm. Closed on Alaska state holidays. Admission: $5.00, adults; $4.00, seniors; ages 18 and younger are admitted free. Winter Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 10am – 4pm, Admission: $3.00. During the summer months, the Native Artist Demonstrators Artist Residency Program features demonstrations, lectures, and workshops.
Russian Bishop’s House
The oldest intact Russian building in Sitka was built in 1842 by the Russian American Company as a residence for the Bishop of the Orthodox Church. Bishop Innocent (Ivan Veniaminov) was its first resident. The building and grounds are managed by the National Park Service. It has been restored to the 1850s historic period when it functioned as a school, Bishop’s residence, and a chapel. Registered as a National Historic Landmark. Open 9:00 am – 5:00 pm daily during the summer months with tours every half hour. Winter hours by appointment only. Admission is $4.00.