Since Sitka was the capital of Territorial Alaska in 1895, it was chosen as the “See City” by Bishop Rowe. The first service was held in St. Peter’s in 1899. In 1901, St. Peter’s was chartered as Alaska’s Pro Cathedral. Located directly behind the church is the bishop’s residence, referred to as the “See House,” built in 1905 by Bishop Rowe. The church continues to be used by many for quiet and prayer, regular worship, and a place of meeting for community organizations. According to legend, Joseph of Arimathea’s staff took root and blossomed. In April of 1999, St. Peters’ by the Sea received the third planting from this Holy Thorn of Glastonbury and planted it on the church’s grounds.
611 Lincoln Street, Sitka, AK 99835